At Donhead we believe, and deliver, the Jesuit call for excellence in all that we do. This obviously includes, but not exclusively, 11+ preparation. Our curriculum is designed to ensure every child can fulfil his potential, and achieve the desired academic result for his chosen destination school. As a non-selective school, our list of future destinations is extensive, and we focus on finding the right match between your son and the school.
Preparation is important, and we have a curriculum designed to meet the demands of every school on our list. The Deputy Head has responsibility for delivering 11+ preparation through Years 4 and 5, which ensures every boy has received 18 months of content, technique and advice towards this examination.
Our top tips are:
- Make sure the chosen school is right for your child
- Core English and Maths skills are key
- Vocabulary is built through a variety of genres when reading
- Solid times tables are the foundation of good maths skills
- Don’t move too fast – very little benefit in practicing GCSE questions for the 11+ - CONSOLIDATE
- Learn the material before being tested
- Alleviate stress and pressure by working in bitesize chunks
- Regular perfect practice is preferable to intense tutoring